Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Flasification of Society

So I was just thinking about something I read today. It was an MSN article about conversation starters. One of the suggestions was tell someone something good about this. Upon reflecting on this recently it got me very angry. I hate false compliments with alterior motives. It makes life infinitely more difficult for others who try to be sincere. One of the benefits of being critical, is that it really means alot to people when you compliment them. It means alot to me if someone complents me sincerely and without reason. I still remember occasions from long ago when people have complimented me.

The two side effects of insincere compliments are desentization or an overinflated ego. This is not an exclusive or either, it could be both. If people tell girls they are pretty all the time depending on the girl they might start to take it to heart and them become a arrogant condesending person, or they might just blow it off as someone trying to get in their pants and not take it to heart. This is what our society has come to.

My current emotions are very much influenced by the progress of the plot of 1984. I know this might sound insane, but in my own defence it is a very enthralling book. I was feeling great today because the book started getting more optimistic, but recently the book showed that the good turn of events meant nothing in the whole plot of things. The funny thing was that the good thing that happened wasn't even all that unique, amazing it was but that is because of the subject at hand. The point is that juxtaposed with the previous progress of the plot this slight bit of light that shone on the character's life was all in all beautiful and amazing compared to the world around him. I know I am speaking very vaguely, it is because I am trying not to give anything away, in the story.

READ 1984, amazing book.

Next book on the list Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky, of course after I finish my other four.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm....I feel ya. Compliments are too often given unsincerely, which DOES result in people becoming arrogant or becoming jaded. Luckily, there are still those sincere people out there who unfailingly can make you feel special even when you've heard the line a thousand times. So there's hope.

And I have mood swings based on what I'm reading too!!

-mia

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home